Saturday, October 20, 2012

My greatest culinary achievement to date

Yes, it's a picture of a croissant. Let me explain. Or just skip to the next post, that would probably be more interesting.







I made it from scratch! Supposedly this is the most difficult bakery item to master, and after watching America's Test Kitchen where they traveled to France to find out how the masters created their "Quassan" as they say, I was inspired to give it a go.

The kiddo got into it too (I'm secretly grooming him to become a chef one day), and it kind of turned into a science experiment. How do they make all the layers so flaky? We found out there is a certain type of flour that works best, and you must use butter with the highest fat content, or the layers will stick. And you have to roll, and fold...roll and fold....roll and fold...until you have exactly 32 layers of butter, dough, butter dough...you get the idea.  And you have to refrigerate or freeze it between each fold so the butter doesn't melt.

Only 6 hours later we had two dozen of the most delicious, flaky, warm, buttery croissants I've ever had in my life. Oh, it was worth the work, and the extra 3 pounds I gained.



No comments:

Post a Comment